Wednesday 3 February 2016

OUGD502 Creative Report - Studio DBD Responses (Studio Brief One)

Dave Sedgwick got back in touch with me from Studio DBD and agreed to help me with my creative report. Myself and Dave have been sending emails for a couple of days now, and he has answered my set of questions that I wrote for him. The emails are below.


'Hello!

My name is Amelia Bramwell and I'm a student currently studying my second year at Leeds College of Art. I have recently been set a project to interview a designer that inspires my own design process; I was wondering if you would be up for answering some questions for me about your work! I've been following your design for a while via your website and I love that you don't limit your design style like a lot of studios I follow seem to. 

Hope to hear from you soon!'


'Sure.
Do you want to do it on email or phone?
D'


'Email preferably, just as it will be easier to document! 
I'll add  the questions to this email, thanks a lot I really appreciate it!

Are you a dog or a cat person?
Do you prefer tea or coffee?
How did you get into graphic design?
How long have you been working in the creative industry?
What is your favourite colour to use within your projects?
Did you go to university? If so, what did you study and where?
Who inspires your own practice?
Describe Studio DBD in 5 words.
What is a typical day like in Studio DBD?
In your opinion, which project in your portfolio are you most proud of?
Do you have a pet hate within the industry?
Do you prefer working locally or nationally? Why?
Do you have any advice for start up design studios?
What is your favourite typeface? Why?
Finally, if you could time travel, what advice would you give to your younger self?

Again, thanks a lot!'


'Here you go…



Definitely a dog person. Someone once told me you never actually own a cat. 

I prefer coffee as I need it more. Especially being a new dad and getting about 3 hours sleep a week.

The usual way really. I studied design at A-Level, did a foundation course and then went to University. Fortunately after leaving I did a two week placement and they offered me a position working for them. The rest is history…

I graduated in 2001 so it will be 15 years this year since I got my first job. A bloody long time!

Is this a trick question? I don’t really have a favourite colour. I use the ones I think are right for the project. But if you are pushing me, there’s a lot to be said for black.

Yes, I went to Manchester Metropolitan or as it’s now called Manchester School of Art. I studied Design and Art Direction.

Tough question. Seeing as I work a lot on my own, I tend to get inspired by solo artists or small studios. Obviously the ones in Barcelona that I know such as Hey and LoSiento. I also really look up to Oscar Germade at Solo in Spain as he’s a very good designer. Closer to home, Anthony Burrill, Michael Place, Paul Belford. 

Design studio of Dave Sedgwick

Typically at the moment I get up about 7am and spend some time with my daughter who’s 6 months old. Then about 9:30am I drive to work and make any calls I need to do in the car. I get into the studio about 10 and pour my third cup of coffee! Then I spend the first few hours replying to and sending any emails I need to do. After a quick lunch break I tend to get into designing stuff. By fish I need to start thinking about getting home and putting Aoife to bed. So my day is quite short, but I have tried to learn to get shit done quicker and not procrastinate as much.

Probably the BCNMCR projects. Mainly as they took so much work to achieve and I met so many people through them. But I believe that the last project you do is always your strongest one. 

I’m not a big fan of people constantly criticising work. When we do that we are basing a lot on assumptions and we must be one of the only industries that has such a negative attitude at times. We are all striving for the same end goal and we forget that sometimes. 

I’m not sure I understand this question. I work with lots of clients and don’t really have a preference for their destination.

Get your shit in order early on, so a decent accountant, job filling system, back up system etc. Take on loads of work at first, but don’t pitch yourselves as cheap or low price. You’ll always be known as that if you do so. Build up a good portfolio of work by going the extra mile on all your projects. Work hard, stay safe and try to enjoy it. 

I don’t have a favourite one. It would be like picking a favourite child.

I’d probably say learn how to be a plumber as people always need plumbers and I can’t imagine many plumbers hear ‘My sisters boyfriends son who’s 13 could do this for £25 and you’re charging me how much?!'


Cheers'


'Perfect, thanks a lot I really appreciate this!'

No comments:

Post a Comment