Tuesday 21 April 2015

OUGD402 Presentation & Script (Studio Brief Three)

For this brief, we have basically been asked to create a 7 minute long presentation based on our past experiences for the last 9 months. I decided that my presentation would mainly be key words and a few images, and I would have the bulk of my speech in a script instead of on screen, as I find that presentations that have type on are pretty pointless unless they're key words, as the person doesn't really have to read it out if the audience can read it themselves. Below is my presentation. I kept it really simple as I didn't want it to be harsh on the eyes and I wanted a slight modernist style. I decided to use my self-branding logo in the corner, as I have to get used to having this on my presentations in the future.



Who am I as a learner? I’d say as a learner that I am very willing and want to learn a lot of new skill sets, and have through-out the year, such as I had never used InDesign properly and now I am quite accustomed to it. I think I’m quite a computer-based designer, however I really enjoy the methods afterwards, such as screen printing and book binding. I’d say I’m a lot more confident than I was when I first started the course and I’m more comfortable talking about and presenting my work, although I still get nervous. 



Have your experiences changed your ambitions? I think that my ambitions have changed due to my experiences, as when I first came to the course I thought that I would like to go into industry straight after finishing, however after meeting The Hungry Sandwich Club I’d really like to set up a design studio myself, as I think the environment would be more suited to me. However, I’d still like some experience in industry, so I think I will do a year or two and then set up my own business.



What are your personal aims? I think at the moment my personal aims are to do well in university. I think to succeed in this in Level 5 I will have to think about my time management a lot more, as in Level 4 I think I struggled with this (although I never handed in late, it was always a rush at the end before submission). I think another personal aim of mine would be to get some experience with live briefs. I’m hoping to do this over Summer as I’ll (hopefully) have a lot of spare time.




What have you learnt? Over the year, I have learnt a lot of new things, such as screen printing. I think this is a really useful skill to have and I definitely want to explore it more in Level 5. Another skill I have learnt is to use Illustrator properly, as at the start of the year I only really knew how to live trace, however now I can create illustrations without drawing them out first. A skill I have developed is self-reflection and evaluation. It’s a skill I already knew, however I think I have developed in this area and I can now analyse my own work more effectively and give myself constructive criticism. 



What do you want to learn? In Level 5, I would really like to learn more about letter pressing and also embossing, as these are two techniques that I haven’t worked with yet and I’d like to get as much as possible from the course and use as many facilities as possible that are available. I think it would also be really interesting to do some collaborations with students that aren’t doing Graphic Design, such as Illustration or Printed textiles. 



What mistakes did you make & how have you learnt from them? I made a lot of mistakes during the course, such as in OUGD404 I got the pagination of my book really wrong and had to reprint it, however I learnt from it as I now know how to paginate an open spine book properly. I also made mistakes such as time management at the start of the course, however through-out the year I have improved my time management a lot, however I think it still needs work in Level 5. 



What have been your strengths? I think a strength of mine through-out the course has been listening to constructive criticism and developing my work further with the comments, however also making sure that I am happy with the final outcome. Another strength is the fact that I have been pushing myself a lot further at the end of the year and I’d like to think I have been quite ambitious with my design, for example in OUGD404 I learnt to paginate an open spine book, how to do a four colour separation of a photograph ready for screen printing, and also how to bind an open spine book.



What have your weaknesses been? I think a weakness of mine has been time management, as I didn’t think ahead that all of the modules would basically be due in at the same time, and therefore over Easter I didn’t really get much of a break due to the workload. Another weakness of mine has been balancing out the work between 4 different modules, as I have never really had to do this before and it’s something I have really struggled with over the year, however I think I am better at this now, and it’s good as I think it’s what being in the industry will be like.



What have you enjoyed and why? Through-out the past 9 months, I have really enjoyed being in a city where there is a local art scene and visiting multiple exhibition openings. I particularly enjoyed going to see Drew Millward’s exhibition at Colours May Vary. I thought the screen prints were really interesting and they looked incredibly complicated to get right. 



What have you disliked and why? I have disliked the stress that comes with having four modules on the go at one time, however I know that it is beneficial as this is what industry will be like.



What did you want from Level 4? I wanted to be eased into my course, but still challenged, so I think this has been achieved. I also wanted to learn to use DreamWeaver and this hasn’t happened, however I want to learn to code my website that I created for PPP over summer and get it up and running.


What do you want from Level 5? I think from Level 5, I would like to get even more comfortable with presenting my work and build up my confidence further. I think this will also be achieved by working part-time at the o2 as I have already met and will meet a lot of new people. I think I would also like to experiment with screen print further and learn new skills such as embossing and foiling. I would also like to experiment more with stock choice and hopefully build up my own collection of different stocks. I would also like to get some live briefs and to maybe create some posters that could be sold on my website once I have coded it. I think collaborating with people is really interesting and fun and I would really like to do this more in Level 5.



No comments:

Post a Comment